Sep 9, 2009

Seoul Forest + Han River


On Sunday a group of us (30 strong) international students were invited to go on a trip to Seoul Forest and a boat tour of the Han river.  An RA downstairs is one of Seoul's 'honorary ambassadors' and was able to make a request for the city government to sponsor this trip for us.  The weather wasn't that great; there was a fairly thick layer of haze hanging above Seoul, but there's not much to complain about a fun, free trip.


My initial impression of a 'forest' was a densely lush, thick wilderness.  Instead, we arrived at a park called "Seoul Forest" (서울숲,) which was predominantly a very large area that consisted of sprawling lawns, small ponds and paved paths appropriated with neatly planted trees.  It was a really nice environment, but it all seemed somewhat planned and manufactured compared to what I had expected.  Still, it was a great place--I didn't get to see enough of it so I'm definitely paying it another visit.

 
There was this large water fountain for kids to play in.  
I'm pretty sure most of them had a thoroughly fun time.
 


There was this one small boy who stood off to the side, watching the big kids play. 
  
There was a cool small gallery in the park too
The Korean spells out:
dee / ja / een / seo / ul / gael / leo / ree

It's a funny and embarrassing process when reading Korean slowly and figuring out it all adds up to be an English word.  I often read things aloud, and hearing myself as I start understanding is always hilarious.  For example, when I read out "Paah Eee Naah Pull" I feel like an idiot after realizing I simply said "pineapple."

 

  
I don't have many good shots from the boat tour, or a group picture from my camera.  The poor captain had a large pile of point and shoots (plus a dslr) to deal with and I didn't want to add mine to the pile, so this picture's from one of my shipmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment